Monday, May 3, 2010

My two cents on: Read the Fine Print: Chictopia and Payless Don’t Need to Ask to Profit from Blogger Images

I just got back from a long weekend. I haven't been online for 3days and this news from IFB welcomed me back.

I only have few followers (thanks guys) and I don't really get to profit from my blog. I do hope that I get to some day. Going back, same with bloggers, it has been a problem of photographers all over the world how their photos are being used without their permission. It seems like an incurable disease like corruption.

Legally, we can't fight Chictopia and other sites like that because of that clause. I don't read the terms myself. I also work as a marketer and I write contracts most of the time. We also make sure that all the details will be written there so that we won't be sued. These social networking sites are taking advantage of the laziness of bloggers in reading the terms. So next time, if you don't want your photos to be used elsewhere, check if such a clause exist before you join. It will be better though if the social networking sites reminds us of this clause before we upload away our photos. Whenever I upload photos on facebook, there's this small box you have to check stating that the one uploading the photos is authorized to used the photo. Perhaps they can change it to, "once the photo has been uploaded, this site earns the right to use it royalty-free..." But that's just me being hopeful/

If you feel like you have been violated, I have two suggestions. First, you can just discontinue participating in the said site. You can blog about it too stating why you have discontinued using that site. But you have to weigh your options of course. Which weighs more, the benefit you are getting from this site (IFB mentioned that big fashion sites like teenvogue and the likes look for potential features in social networking sites) or the feeling of violation you got?

Second, put a watermark of your name on your photo. Don't put it at the bottom or at the top. They can easily crop it out. You might as well put it in the middle of the photo. Photographers usually do this. Chances are, they won't use this photo or if they really like it, they'll contact you to ask permission.

Let's be responsible so that we won't become victims of the situation.

Read the whole article at IFB.

No comments:

Post a Comment